Saturday, December 8, 2018

Improving your online privacy


I've written several times in the past about the threat to privacy and private information posed by the Internet and social media companies who see us as the product they sell to others, to be exploited for their greatest advantage.  That's why I'm still not active on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, or any of the other big names in social media.  The only one I use is Gab, and they guarantee the privacy of their members, making it a much safer environment.

If you've wondered how to improve or safeguard your online privacy, there are ways.  Many of them have been summarized in a useful infographic.  Here are a few screenshots from it.  Click each image for a larger view.








There's much more at the link.  Useful information.

Peter

8 comments:

juvat said...

I read somewhere recently (Borepatch?) that going incognito only stops tracking by the end site. Evidently, You're still tracked at Google.

Old NFO said...

Juvat is right. Google is STILL tracking your ass... sigh

Dave said...

The only way you're getting away from Google tracking is to not. use. Google.

Switch to a different browser, and use a different search engine.

(I also recommend installing ScriptSafe, as it lets you load web pages a piece at a time and block things like the google-metrics crap).

Larry said...

Using a trustworthy VPN also helps. No free VPN is trustworthy.

Larry said...

And don't use Google, Google Chrome, Gmail, etc.

tsquared said...

I use Opera and DuckDuckgo. I don't use twitter, facebook, or any other social media but I am sure I am being tracked by somewhere.

Tal Hartsfeld said...

If they want to track you bad enough, they'll figure out a way to do so.
So, in the long run, it doesn't matter what you do or try. If they want to "get you" they will.

Antibubba said...

Paid, reliable, and private VPNs are cheaper than ever, especially with multiyear plans. I use NordVPN.