I've had conversations with a number of readers during the past few days. It started with their being unhappy that I won't acknowledge or go into detail about 9/11 conspiracy theories. (Turns out that those who believe in such theories - and it is almost a religious belief, because they won't listen to, or read, or investigate, or give even the time of day to fact-based analyses like the exhaustive investigations published by Popular Mechanics - aren't very tolerant of those who don't, particularly when the latter - including me - dismiss such theories as irrelevant.) From there, the discussion segued into what's going to happen when the Biden administration inevitably overreaches itself, and provokes active resistance. (Let's be blunt - their perspective is "when it provokes a civil war". I'm still hoping and praying that can be averted.)
There are many dimensions to that problem, but I'd like to point out that the administration will deploy every force, trick and tactic at its disposal to squash such rebellion the moment it starts. They'll reason that if they very publicly destroy such resistance, the rest of the country will be cowed into submission. I think it'll go something like this with the first, or the first few, incidents of rebellion.
- The resistance will turn violent, possibly lethal, and some government officers and bureaucrats will be prevented from doing their job. Some may be hurt or killed.
- The powers that be will flood that location with uniformed police, informants, left-wing fellow travelers (think BLM and Antifa), and anyone else they can use to intimidate those who dare stand against them. The press - as always, eager allies of the Biden administration - will cover the response in admiring, boot-licking terms.
- The protections offered by our constitution to individual civil rights will be comprehensively ignored. Premises will be searched without warrant, drivers will be stopped without probable cause, individuals will be detained for questioning - possibly for days, perhaps even weeks or months - without access to lawyers, etc. (See the response to the Boston bombing for evidence of that in action. Civil rights were effectively disregarded - and many citizens actually approved, and went along with it.)
- These measures will be publicly justified as a response to "right-wing extremism" or "domestic terrorism", and any disagreement with them will be ruthlessly steamrollered. It's possible that voicing such disquiet may be treated as evidence that you're a terrorist too, and therefore you should be treated as such.
- Those responsible for the disruption will be given "show trials", with as many charges as possible levied against them, and will be given consecutive prison sentences on each of them, to ensure they stay locked up for a good long time.
- The area will then be declared "pacified". The media will wrap up everything in nice, congratulatory ribbons and bows, and the government will assure citizens that it was "justified" in disregarding the Constitution, thanks to the immediate, clear and present danger posed by resistance to its decrees.
If you think something different will happen, I urge you to consider the following evidence to the contrary.
- Law enforcement agencies and officers are already militarized to an appalling extent, including armored vehicles being essentially given free of charge to agencies that request them. Give such people toys, and they'll want to play with them - otherwise, what's the point?
- There's a strong movement on the progressive left to neuter or abolish local law enforcement agencies, and instead federalize the police to form a national force. Such a force will operate under federal mandates, not local; and that means local laws and protections for citizens under State constitutions may not be followed. (See the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina in 2005: I wrote about that very problem in the third and fourth of my after-action reports.)
- News media coverage of such problems is going to be overwhelmingly pro-progressive-left individuals and talking points, and virulently opposed to anything and anyone else. (It is already, so why would it be any different in an emergency? The media would simply be motivated to greater efforts.)
- Any opposition would be treated as active resistance, and intimidated or punished out of existence. If in doubt, refer to how members of our armed services who object to forced vaccination are currently being treated, threatened, discouraged or even dismissed. "Get with the program, or else!"
No, open rebellion will be ruthlessly, even viciously suppressed at first, in an attempt to scare anybody else even thinking about it into "running scared".
However, open rebellion isn't the best way to begin such opposition. Aesop at Raconteur Report has a nasty sense of humor in his discussion of the possibilities, to which I'll refer you without further comment. Of course, it goes without saying that his ideas are nothing but rampant speculation, and he isn't suggesting for a moment that you, or I, or anyone should do anything illegal. Perish the thought! (Although I did laugh out loud at the suggestion of one of his commenters: "Be the cork in the asshole of progressivism!")
Also, make it your business to keep a record of every progressive sympathizer, activist, legislator, bureaucrat, business owner or manager, etc. in your area. Note their names, and anything and everything else about them that might be relevant one day. They're spreading poison, and sooner or later we're going to have to lance that poisonous boil, squeeze out the corruption, and bring healing to the infection it's caused in our body politic. Whether that's done peacefully or not, it will have to be done - so, in the words of the Four Rules of firearms safety promulgated by the late, great Jeff Cooper, "be sure of your target and what is beyond it": in this case, the latter includes the network of supporters and sympathizers who propagate the leftist gospel. Even if you don't actively assist with that, those undertaking the work will be able to use your information.
We are currently governed by progressive leftists who are doing their very best to ignore or snuff out all of our constitutional protections, all of our civil rights, and all of our liberties that conflict with their totalitarian vision. We're going to have to fight them and their vision - but let's not do it on their terms, where our actions play into their hands and give them the pretext(s) they need to crush opposition. Work smarter, not harder!
That includes being extraordinarily careful with one's activism. Some potential options:
- Keep one set of devices for "everyday", and a second (and/or third, and/or more) set for confidential use. Never, ever allow one to be used in the other context. The second set should never be powered up and/or used at home, or even be allowed to contact the Internet, in case location tracking should link them to you in some way (including their proximity to your "everyday" devices).
- Work through a phone or phones not registered to you, in locations where you're not usually present. Don't even put in the batteries or turn the phones on until you're in those areas.
- Never take your own vehicles to and from such areas, and never carry your "everyday" cellphone or other electronics on such occasions, to prevent one cellphone being linked to another by location.
- When not in use, "secure" devices should be stored in Faraday cages (which can be bags or boxes), if possible with their batteries removed. If they can't be activated or "pinged", they can't be used against you.
- When you talk about anything even remotely confidential, make sure all electronic devices - and I do mean ALL - are outside the room, where remote activation of their microphones can't overhear your conversation or allow it to be recorded.
- Use encryption on communications, and also for e-mail through completely separate, anonymous accounts that again are not linked to you at all. (However, don't trust encryption alone - what one human can encrypt or encode, another, particularly with computer assistance, can decrypt or decode.) Change such accounts frequently, and also any devices such as cellphones. Throw away a burner phone after a few uses and replace it. Don't buy the replacement yourself - use "cut-outs" who can't identify you as the user. (One agency used to have one person buy a few burner phones, then hand them over to a courier who took them to another city and delivered them to a third person. He/she activated the phones in several locations, using different numbers, then gave them to another courier for delivery to more than one distant location. Someone there would receive them, then distribute them to those who would use them. Complex and expensive? Yes, but also pretty secure.)
- Use Virtual Private Networks (VPN's) for secure internet communications. They're not foolproof - court orders can be obtained to force VPN's to monitor, record and hand over your traffic - but they prevent casual eavesdropping. I know some people use two VPN's, layering one over the other, making interception even more difficult.
Everything I've said above is currently legal. There are other techniques and methods as well - anyone who's had "fieldcraft" training in TLA's (see one US list here) or the military will know what I mean - but I won't go into those here.
As we've said many, many times before in these pages: "Be the gray man". Subtlety is better than in-your-face violence . . . until the time comes that the latter may be inevitable. Sadly, sometimes it is.