Thursday, May 4, 2023

A key to my weight loss: bone broth with supplements

 

I've had several queries from readers about how I'm doing with my long-term liquid fast, which I discussed in late February, and again in late March.  Good news:  as of last Friday, I'm down 40 pounds, with a lot more to go!  I expect to keep this up for at least another year, and perhaps a little longer.  I lost a lot of weight in the first month, and much less in the second:  my doctor reckons that's because I lost the "easy weight" (liquid) first, and now I'm tackling the "hard weight" (fat, etc.).  Makes sense, I guess.

Several people wanted to know what liquids could help assuage hunger pangs.  Here's my recipe - and I'm here to tell you, it works well.

I start with a mug of bone broth.  I've sampled several different brands, but I keep coming back to Bare Bones Bone Broth.  It's by far the tastiest I've tried, and it's in powder form, so carrying a sachet or two around with me is no problem at all (something that's hard to do with a glass jar or squeeze bottle).



It's not cheap, but based on its flavor, protein richness, keto- and paleo-friendly nature, and low calorie count (50 calories per sachet), I'm willing to pay what it costs.  (Regrettably, I haven't found it for sale anywhere but Amazon.). I daresay I go through 40-50 sachets per month, sometimes more.  I buy the beef and chicken flavors, and mix one sachet with 10-12 ounces of boiling water in a large mug.  (I plan to try some of their other flavors, too, for variety's sake.)

I sometimes drink the bone broth on its own, but often I add three things to enhance its flavor.  First, I put in about 1/3 teaspoon Knorr Tomato Bouillon.



Next, I add about 1/3 to 1/2 teaspoon of Better Than Bouillon beef or chicken concentrate.  I find this more flavorful than bouillon cubes, and far less salty.



Finally, to chicken bone broth I add almost (not quite) a level teaspoon of a Costa Rican sauce, Lizano, which is similar to Worcestershire sauce but with a South American herbal overtone.  To beef bone broth, I add a similar quantity of the same manufacturer's Chilero sauce, which is a hot sauce, again with a distinctive herbal overtone.  I guess one could use any such sauce;  I just happen to like these.



All these products are available at Amazon:  however, bouillon prices there are higher than they need to be.  You'll find all three varieties of bouillon available at supermarkets for much less.

I've just finished a big mug of chicken bone broth, made as above, as I write these words, and my hunger pangs have abated almost completely.  From experience, I know they won't come back for an hour or two, sometimes longer than that.  I daresay I'm going to continue to drink this concoction even after my long-term liquid fast is over, because it's really tasty and very enjoyable.

There you go.  Try your own mixtures, and let us know what works for you in Comments.  We can all learn from each other's recipes.

Peter


13 comments:

Dave Narby said...

Bone broth is great stuff, but as far as weight loss is concerned: Eating sugar in moderation and *completely eliminating seed oils/PUFA* seems to allow you to eat whatever you want and lean out.

https://robertyoho.substack.com/p/219-mercola-may-have-discovered-the#details

Aggie said...

You can get Better than Bouillon at Costco as well, in larger jars. Use it all the time as a flavor enhancer in savory dishes.

E. C. said...

I generally make my own bone broth, because we processed a bunch of chickens last fall and I try to reduce waste as a general rule. Since I add (clean) onion skins, carrots, celery, and sometimes turmeric, ginger, or garlic at the end of the process, it's pretty flavorful on its own - but if I want an extra kick I add cinnamon. Turmeric, ginger, and cinnamon are anti-inflammatory, and I think they add a nice flavor to bone broth.

liberty said...

Bone broth is indeed great stuff. At the level you are consuming, it might be cost effective to consider making some at home. It’s easy, and I think tastier than store bought. Buy a whole chicken. Have roast chicken for dinner, the carcass is enough bones to make 3-4 qts of broth. I prefer using an Instant Pot for making broth, but a stock pot on the stove works just fine. The stock will keep in the fridge for a week or 2, it also freezes well. Ice cube trays are useful for smaller portions.

James said...

I have found that a half teaspoon of mineralized salt in water gives me the same effect.

JNorth said...

Aggie already mentioned the Better than Bouillon at Costco but I've also gotten that same bone broth at my local Costco. I have also found that the powdered collagen (I've used the Vital Proteins brand from Costco) seems to make drinks more filling.

SQT said...

I started using collagen peptides for my arthritis (it really helps) and I noticed it really suppresses my appetite because it is a protein. I’ve lost almost all the belly fat that was making me crazy thanks to the collagen.

lynn said...

Congratulations on the weight loss ! I would like to lose a few pounds too, I am at 254 lbs at 6'1" and 62 years of age. I was 205 lbs at 20 and could bench press 330 lbs. I was working out with the TAMU football team but could not put enough weight on, especially for center. I was squatting 540 lbs one night in G Rollie and the right tackle was after me. He had another 100 lb weight in each hand for his squats, he was 6'1" also but weighed 290 lbs.

When I met the 5'4" wife 42 years ago, she was 130 lbs. She later confessed to me that she "ate" black coffee for breakfast, a sandwich for lunch, and chicken bouillon for supper. Maybe 600 calories.

lynn said...

I know that it is the lazy route but I want to try the weekly Ozempic injection. Apparently most of Hollywood is on it. My 77 year old friend just dropped from 285 to 235 on it after six months. It really cut his appetite down and allowed him to stop nighttime snacking.

Anonymous said...

The mushroom base better than bouillon is fantastic as well.
I have found that a critical requirement of fasting is keeping your electrolytes at appropriate levels. I have slowly been increasing the duration I can fast, towards an eventual goal of a 40 day Lenten fast. Adding a concoction of electrolyte powders (ask your doctor) to my tea makes a huge difference

Anonymous said...

Your shits must be rather interesting, if you have them at all?

Peter said...

@Anonymous at 9:16PM: No comment!!!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing the recipe, I’m going to try it.