Wednesday, May 24, 2023

Er... um... what can I say?

 

This was Finland's entry in the 2023 Eurovision Song Contest.  It's by an artist (?) named Käärijä, and is titled simply "Cha Cha Cha".




Y'know, back in the day I learned the traditional cha-cha as part of ballroom dancing instruction in preparation for my Matric dance, our school-leaving celebration.  The video above has about as much to do with the classical cha-cha as I have to do with Mata Hari!  And what's with the ribbons "controlling" the dancers as if they were reins on horses?

Wars and insurrections notwithstanding, I've clearly lived an overly sheltered existence . . .



Peter


8 comments:

Magson said...

That was... something.

There's a German girl I sometimes watch who tried to be Germany's entyry fo r this year. She didn't "win" but apparently was a finalist in the country at least. I really enjoyed her entry -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BX5XzmOGKVI

Gerry said...

I thought Finland was a hotbed for the tango?

deb harvey said...

if you are sheltered imagine what it is like for us who really are sheltered!

FeralFerret said...

Looks demonic to me.

I'm so sad to see such trash as this passed off as normal.

Anonymous said...

Love the Incredible Hulk shirt

Andrew Smith said...

That's the thing about Eurovision. Nobody really wants to win it as they'd have to put it on the following year ... so they don't actually send their best serious talent.

Amahl_Shukup said...

Well now, THAT'S probably the gayest thing I'll see all day.

Mad Jack said...

I taught ballroom dancing for ten years and competed professionally.

Finland is known for Argentine Tango, which is fine if you enjoy Argentine Tango - which bears little resemblance to English / International Tango (which is what our host learned in his dance class) or American style Tango.

This performance bears as much resemblance to cha-cha, either competitive or social, as my nice new Rock River AR-15 bears to a pencil sharpener having sex with a ham sandwich. The performance isn't presented as a dance; it's presented to be different, more avant-garde than last year's fiasco and more stimulating than this year's miscarriage.

My congratulations to you Peter for learning to dance.