Saturday, June 5, 2010

On This Day: June 6th, 1944


I posted last year about the commemoration of the Normandy landings on this date, which brought freedom back to the shores of occupied Europe. They would lead, within a year, to the downfall of Nazi Germany and the end of that particularly vicious and savage tyranny.

I don't have anything more to add this year, so I'll let last year's post and pictures speak for themselves. I'll just say: remember those who took part. There are relatively few of them left now, and they grow fewer every year. If you know one, please thank him for all of us.

Peter

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I went, and it was a fine weekend, Military re-enactors in uniforms and vehicles made the experience more interesting. 300 Paras from Britain, France, America, Holland and Germany made an impressive jump at St. Mere Eglise. Veterans were still returning to the sites.