It's been an interesting morning. Lessons learned:
- If you're sitting in front of your computer, with a cat peacefully lying in the crook of one arm, it will go from fast asleep to ACTION STATIONS!!! in about one-tenth of a second when it hears the buzz of a passing fly.
- The transition will be painful for any portion of one's anatomy within reach of the cat's claws.
- It will also be hazardous to your keyboard, coffee mug, and anything else within a two-foot radius of the cat's position.
- When the fly disappears behind your monitor, so will the cat. This is a clue to immediately hold on to your monitor for dear life to prevent its being hurled into the next county by an overenthusiastic feline.
- Having removed cat, salvaged monitor, deleted several strings of unintelligible text from your manuscript, and wiped up the spilled coffee, you will just have sat down again when the fly (presumably the same one) will once again descend onto your screen - closely observed by an interested cat at your feet.
- Wash, rinse, repeat.