Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Here's a scary statistic!


According to a report in the Daily Mail, women will spend an average of one-and-a-third years in tears by the time they reach 25!

During their first year they will shed tears for three hours a day when they need changing, feeding or entertaining.

Between the ages of one and three, a girl will cry for up to two hours and five minutes a day, with the main reasons including falls, tiredness and being told off.

As teenagers, they will wail for an average of two hours and 13 minutes a week, due mainly to hormones, arguing with friends, being dumped and being grounded.

The poll of 3,000 women - conducted by www.TheBabyWebsite.com - found that after the age of 19, women wept for two hours and 14 minutes a week.

Between the ages of 19 and 25, a soppy film is enough to make a woman reach for the tissues, plus indecision about a long-term relationship and losing a loved one. After the age of 25, the most common causes for an emotional outburst include falling out with a partner, hearing someone else's bad news and feeling tired.

All that adds up to more than 12,000 hours of crying.


There's more at the link.

And what happens after the age of 25? The report doesn't say. Would readers experienced in the field care to comment?

(Ducking for cover . . . )

Peter

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'd be ducking AND running! Heh..

--------------
Morris

Melody Byrne said...

Those numbers are pretty close. I remember how much time I spent in tears as a child and a teenager and my friends were pretty much the same. As for the 19-25 range, entering the real world is certainly enough cause for almost any woman.

After 25? Most of us find something better to do, or just don't have the time to spend hours wailing over nothing. Bills have to be paid and children have to be taken care of. A lot of perspective is usually gained by the age of 25 and that tends to temper the tears a bit.

That being said, there is certainly a considerable amount of range among different woman. I went to school with a girl who almost never cried (nothing really bothered her enough) and my 34-year-old sister-in-law still cries at almost anything. But as an average, I'd believe it.

Gebiv said...

After 25 is when they start making men cry...

LabRat said...

I think the fact that the poll was conducted by someplace called The Baby Website (pregnancy hormones tend to make women famously weepy) means the results are going to be more than a skosh skewed.

I know I sure as hell haven't cried for two hours total in the last three months and probably more, let alone in a week.

Betty said...

Peter, I knew I was pregnant when I wanted to cry over the Sonic the Hedgehog theme song that came up when my nieces were watching cartoons. Really!