Monday, July 21, 2008

Doofus Of The Day #49


When spraying your apartment to get rid of bugs, it's worth remembering to switch off any pilot lights for gas appliances that might be alight. Otherwise, this might happen:

A New Jersey man trying to exterminate insects in his apartment blew it up instead, the New York Daily News reported on Monday.

Isias Vidal Maceda was unhurt in the incident, but 80 percent of his apartment was destroyed, Eatontown, New Jersey police told the newspaper.

The accident occurred as Maceda was spraying for pests in his kitchen. Somehow the bug spray ignited a blast that blew out the apartment's front windows and triggered a fire that quickly spread, the newspaper said.

Police told the newspaper that the Saturday blaze also caused smoke damage to the apartment above.


I have visions of a slightly stoned cockroach saying to his buddies, "Yeah, that spray didn't smell too bad - but, man, it sure burned my throat on the way down!"



Peter

2 comments:

Shane said...

Adds new meaning to the term "Bug Bomb"...

Rogue Medic said...

I'm pretty sure they put fire hazard/turn off pilot lights warnings all over those containers.