Monday, February 2, 2009

The music of 'Blackmore's Night'


A couple of weeks ago I posted two articles dealing with music groups I'd enjoyed in the past, and who'd been seminal contributors to the development of progressive rock. I'm going to try to post occasional articles on music that's moved and helped me, and which remains a favorite.

Tonight I'd like to introduce those who don't know them to the group Blackmore's Night. It was founded by Ritchie Blackmore (of Deep Purple and Rainbow fame - if ever a man qualifies for the title of 'guitar god', he's got to be right up there!) and his partner, Candice Knight. Their music is a curious and very enjoyable blend of Renaissance and Medieval tunes, played with modern rock instruments and rhythms, and a mixture of original and historic tunes. I thoroughly enjoy them.

Here's a selection of their songs from earliest to latest. First, from their second album, 'Under A Violet Moon', the title song, from a live performance in Germany.





Next, from the same album, 'Self Portrait', which is a superb example of Blackmore's acoustic guitar virtuosity.





More superb guitar work in 'Storm', from their third album, 'Fires At Midnight'.





More in a rock vein, 'Way To Mandalay' from their fourth album, 'Ghost Of A Rose'. This is a somewhat shortened version of the song.





From their fifth album, 'The Village Lanterne', the title track.





From 'Winter Carols', their secular carol 'Christmas Eve'.





And finally, from their latest album 'Secret Voyage', here's 'Locked Within The Crystal Ball'. I'm not so much into the New Age imagery, but it's a delightful piece of music nevertheless.





I hope you enjoy their music as much as I do.

Peter

5 comments:

Bob said...

*nods* I've been listening to them for several years now. Ritchie and Candace got married last year after a long courtship.

The Mediaeval Baebes play similar music.

Anonymous said...

Wow! Thanks for posting that. I'd never heard of them, but I spent a big part of the day making up for it.

Anonymous said...

Oooo yes... big Blackmore's Night fan. A fishing buddy turned me on to them many years ago. Especially love it when they're joined by Ian Anderson on Play Minstrel, Play. I guess I know what my soundtrack will be tomorrow. :0)


Dave

Anonymous said...

I stumbled onto them last spring and have been rather hooked since then. I think it was a tag from someone else who likes the musician formerly known as Heather Alexander ("March of the Cambreath," "Only the Music," "Lost Sulkar Keep.") and Tempest.
LittleRed1

Unknown said...

Thanks for mentioning them. I hadn't heard of this band, but I definitely like their music. My iPod is a little heavier today.