Sunday, August 2, 2009

Some music from my past


I was talking with an acquaintance today, and the conversation turned to modern ballads and lyrical music. We knew several artists in common, but when I mentioned Lesley Rae Dowling, she'd never heard of her.

I'm not really surprised. Lesley was very popular in South Africa during the 1980's and 1990's. I've lost touch with her music since then, but an Internet search revealed plenty of hits, and she's been publishing new music since then. I think I must pick up a couple of her later CD's to see how her style has matured.

Anyway, since most of my readers won't know her, I looked her up on YouTube to see what was available. To my disappointment, there were only two of her songs on file, one of which I don't particularly like. However, the other is one of my favorites from the 1980's, so here it is: "The Spaniard".











I hope you enjoyed hearing it as much as I did reliving the memories it brought back to me.

Peter

3 comments:

Mango's Madness said...

I love traveling down memory lane. The music is good and easy to listen to. Put her new stuff up when you get it, I want to hear it.

Anonymous said...

Her music reminds me of the group Renaissance with their female vocalist Annie Haslam (sp?).

Most of the youtube videos are of poor quality copies of concerts but Carpet of the Sun captures some of the depth of the music.

I think you'd enjoy it.

Gerry

Old NFO said...

Beautiful voice, and an interesting arrangement! Thanks!