Sunday, May 17, 2009

Another hairy landing


I've posted videos on occasion showing aircraft having a tough time landing in crosswinds, or experiencing other problems.

Here's one of a brand-new Boeing 767, just delivered to LAN, a Chilean airline. It was undergoing its acceptance trials in Washington State when it had to land in a very severe cross-wind. This video is of its third attempt, the first two having led to go-arounds.

Notice how the aircraft sways and bumps in the air, and floats over the runway for a considerable distance before finally touching down.





Kudos to the pilot for his handling of what must have been a rather hairy experience.

Peter

4 comments:

Wayne Conrad said...

I think that's runway 16R. I've landed on that runway. In good weather. In a C172 and in a C150. And not PIC: Dad was a pilot and PAE, not KPAE, was his home field. My old memory is pretty wimpy by comparison to this video.

Crucis said...

Heap big Pucker-factor there.

BTDT in a Piper 180 and Cessna 172. You shower and change your clothes after one of those! Glad I carried a handkerchief just to wipe the sweat off my face.

Anonymous said...

I think in a situation like that I'd be thinking about how badly I need to get to that airfield, or if another with better weather will do overnight.

Jim

Old NFO said...

That's 16R at Payne... The winds were well within the envelope for a 767, and he didn't even come 'close' to scraping a wing :-)