Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Kazakhstan Fashion Week


Yes, they really do have a fashion week in Kazakhstan! I've noticed a few periodicals carrying pictures from the event, and some of them were sufficiently outlandish as to pique my curiosity. I thought you might like to see a few.



Steppe Punk?




A Steppe version of Nancy Pelosi?




Steppe Emo Boy?




Steppe back into ancestral fashions?



I was initially rather taken aback by some of these outlandish designs (not surprising, really - Kazakhstan is the 'outland' compared to the southern US!) However, I remembered that the ancestors of today's Kazakhs included, among others, the Mongol warriors of Genghis Khan.




I suspect this explains where at least part of their fashion sense has come from . . .

(Of course, if said Mongol warriors had got hold of Steppe Emo Boy while he was dressed like that, he'd certainly have had something to Emo about!)



Peter

1 comment:

Billll said...

And of course no fashon show that far out in the boonies would be complete without the "Fox Hat", right?