Saturday, July 7, 2018

Dragon Awards?


I received an e-mail this morning from reader Dennison S., who pointed out that the first two books in my current Cochrane's Company trilogy are eligible for nomination for this year's Dragon Awards, the biggest reader-selected award in the USA.

I was flattered, of course, although I don't know what my chances will be against luminaries such as Larry Correia, John Ringo et. al.  They're the superstars in the mil-SF field;  I'm a relative amateur by comparison!  Nevertheless, he wanted to nominate my books, so I said he should go ahead.  I asked him to nominate the middle book of the trilogy, "An Airless Storm", rather than the first one, because it's the most recently published.




Therefore, dear readers:  if, and only if, you think "An Airless Storm" is worthy of nomination for a Dragon Award, please nominate it before July 20th 2018, when nominations close.  Please nominate it in the "Best Military Science Fiction or Fantasy Novel" category, not any other, as it most closely fits that genre.  You'll find the nomination form and instructions here.  The more people who nominate it, the better its chances of making it into the voting round later this year.  In that light, please DO NOT nominate the first book in the trilogy, "The Stones of Silence".  Let's concentrate the votes on a single book, not split them between two volumes.

Whether or not you nominate my book (or any other), you'll need to register to vote in the Dragon Awards before August 31st, 2018.  The form to do that is here.  I encourage all who love reading in the science fiction and fantasy categories to register to vote, and to make your voices heard.  The huge advantage the Dragon Awards have over every other similar award is that they're genuinely the voice of the readers, not the publishers or pressure groups or any other faction.  I think they're a great new entry on the awards scene, and I hope that one day, sooner or later, I may write a book that's worthy of such recognition.  Whether or not that will happen this year . . . that's up to you!

Oh - one last note:  the third and final volume in my Cochrane's Company trilogy, "The Pride of the Damned", is scheduled for publication next Monday, July 9th, God willing.  It won't be eligible for this year's Dragon Awards, which cover only books published on or before June 30th, 2018.  However, I hope you'll enjoy it as much as the first two!




Thanks.

Peter

3 comments:

John Cunningham said...

A wise move to get the 3rd volume out then, Peter. Gives you a shot for next year.

D.J. Schreffler said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Old NFO said...

Done and done. And I'll get a post up Monday! :-)