Monday, April 1, 2013

Did I get lucky, or what?


I'm sitting in front of my computer, staring at my latest acquisition.  It's an original Ruger Super Blackhawk single-action revolver in .44 Magnum, the 'three screw' variant manufactured between 1962 and 1972.  Its low five-digit serial number indicates manufacture in the early- to mid-1960's.  Crucially for its value, it hasn't been modernized with the transfer bar lockwork introduced by Ruger in 1973's 'New Model' Super Blackhawk (although Ruger will upgrade it to that standard free of charge, if I choose to send it to them).  I don't have pictures of it yet (I'll get Oleg to take some for me), but it's identical to the one shown below, which is in no better condition than mine, and which recently sold at auction for several times more than what I've just paid for mine!




I doubt it's had more than a box of ammunition through it in all the years since it was made.  Its blued steel is mirror-bright, with no wear marks and very few other marks visible, all of which look like they'll come out after a good polishing with a soft cloth.  It has only the faintest of drag lines on the cylinder.  I'd call its condition 95%-98%, easily.  It's in the original cardboard box, with the original grips loose inside it (it's currently wearing a set of Pachmayr Presentation rubber grips).  It came with two boxes of ammunition, one from Remington, one from Winchester, both 1960's vintage, and a classic-style leather holster.  I think the Gun Gods, if such things exist, were smiling on me this morning . . .

I doubt whether I'll send it back to Ruger to have the lockwork updated, as I don't plan on carrying it in the field.  Besides, it has collector value due to its rarity in its original, unaltered state (see the price achieved at the auction to which I linked above).  That's because most original model Super Blackhawks have been upgraded in the forty years since 1973's 'New Model' Super Blackhawk was introduced.  I don't know whether I'll sell or trade it to a collector, or simply shoot it 'as is' - but it's in such minty condition that frankly, I hesitate to use it!  What do you think, readers?  Should a rare specimen like this, in such excellent condition, be fired, or should it be sold/exchanged for something less pristine, that I can shoot without worrying about potential scratches?

Peter

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like quite a find! My personal thought would be to sell it and purchase a workhorse that you can shoot without cringing, then use the surplus for other items that might be useful, gun-related or not. Safe queens are very nice, but these days I view my guns as tools... I don't want to keep one I wouldn't want to shoot.

Comrade Misfit said...

Safe queens can be good investments. Often better than you're going to get anywhere else.

Rev. Paul said...

Don't know about selling it, as it will only appreciate in price or 'barter' value - but it's purty.

Charlie Foxtrot said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Charlie Foxtrot said...

Got one! It could be a younger sister to yours, but nowhere near as as nice. Congratulations!

Bought it years/ decades ago to help a friend with financial problems. Can't hit the side of a planet with it. Still love it.

I've got an unfired Winchester 1894 Texas Ranger commemorative, and I can't bring myself to shoot it, even though I should. I err toward preserving the firearm.

If you decide to shot it, let us know how you like the Pachmayr Presentation grips. I've been told they are just the ticket for those of us in the large hands set.

Peter said...

I decided I couldn't keep it in good conscience, not when I'd bought it from an acquaintance who didn't know its true value. I called him and told him the price achieved for a similar gun at the auction to which I linked, and you could almost hear his jaw drop over the phone!

I'm meeting him tomorrow morning. I'll give him back the gun, and either get another one he's selling, or get my money back. He can then sell this one for an amount closer to its collector value (which is far higher than I can afford!).

Needless to say, he's a happy and very relieved camper right now . . .

:-)

Anonymous said...

Bravo! That's the stand-up thing to do for a friend, painful as it is to give up that beautiful gat.

Murphy's Law said...

Oh, that's just nice!

I always have to shoot mine, even if just a little. That's what they were made for.

Murphy's Law said...

Just read your last comment. You're a class guy, Peter.

Lou said...

Good play Peter, a conscience is a good partner. My .02 cents on the Ruger conversion. I have a three screw Blackhawk in .30 Carbine that I bought in '70. I sent it in for the conversion maybe 20 years ago. When it was returned with the transfer bar kit installed Ruger had put all the original parts in a bag and returned them as well. I then swapped out the kit, it's easy, as I like the three clicks of the hammer coming back. The best of both, free.

Carteach said...

I have a Super Blackhawk in .44, but it's a Bisley version.

It's the only one like it I have ever seen, although I have not read of it being rare.

Rare or not... I carved myself a set of birdseye maple grips to fit my hand, and I SHOOT this pistol. It's one of those firearms who's price matters little, since I don't plan on ever selling it.

perlhaqr said...

If it were mine, I'd sell it to someone who wants a "pretty" gun, and get something more "working class" for myself. If the exchange rate was right, I might even be able to get two guns, or a gun and some ammo.

And that advice applies to either you or your friend. ;)

JohninMd.(HELP?!?) said...

I have a New Model Super Blackhawk, same gun really, just safe with "6 beans in the wheel". Shoots a lot better than I can hold, and I hold passably well. Made in 1976 - barrel's marked " Made in the 200th year of American Liberty". I'd love to build a set; Blackhawk, Security-Six, Super Single-Six, Bearcat, Mk.II, all from '76.
I read that roll-mark, and wanna weep. Our country....dammit, our country.....