Monday, June 1, 2009

The world's most expensive curry


A restaurant in Britain now offers this dish for wealthy gourmands.

The world's most expensive curry has been launched despite the credit crunch - and costs £2,000 [US $3,289] a portion.

The Samundari Khazana curry, meaning Seafood Treasure, is a mix of caviar, sea snails, a whole lobster and even edible gold.

The posh nosh is being served up at upmarket London eatery Bombay Brasserie.




The chef prepares the dish with Devon crab and white truffle, while his assistant painstakingly presses gold leaf to half a cherry tomato filled with Beluga caviar.

He then places four sea snails - abalone - which cost almost £300 [US $493] a kilo, into a sizzling pan. Another chef coats an £80 [US $132] Scottish lobster in gold, while a third deftly hollows out four shelled quails' eggs before filling them with more caviar.

'The idea is from a basic Indian recipe I got from my mum but we are using the finest ingredients in the world,' said Mr Hegde.

'The fish and seafood is marinated in chilli and tamarind paste, then I'm going to slice truffle over the top to give it a nutty flavour,' he added.

The five tiny shavings of truffle cost £90 [US $148] - that is £19 [US $31] each - while the shimmering, edible gold is priced at £1,000 [US $1,645] for just 10g [less than four-tenths of an ounce].


There's more at the link.

You know, I really like curry. I grew up with curry in South Africa, where there's a substantial Indian population, and I think I can say, without undue boasting, that I can make a pretty good curry myself. However, for that sum, I could feed the proverbial five thousand with my ordinary curry!

I suspect I'll pass on this high-priced poshness, thank you very much.

Peter

4 comments:

Wayne Conrad said...

What? No cream-of-mushroom soup? How can that be any good?

Anonymous said...

Needs filé powder.
LittleRed1

Larry said...

Wouldn't it be aweful if you had too much wine and got sick!

LabRat said...

What I really like is how it completely misses the point of fine ingredients. You eat them a few at a time, individually, so you can TASTE THEM- you don't put them in a curry!

Food for people who want to show off how wealthy they are, not for people who love food.