Tuesday, March 4, 2008

An authentic voice from the front lines


Courtesy of Dad's Deadpool Blog we're introduced to Kaboom: A Soldier's War Journal, by Lt. G. He's serving in Iraq and writes of his experiences there.

I spent a while this evening reading Lt. G's comments. He comes across as a very real young man, and his account of service Up The Sharp End is convincing. For those who are combat veterans, there's an indefinable sense of when someone's BS'ing you and when he's telling it straight. My "indefinable sense" says to me that Lt. G. is telling it straight.

I also had to chuckle at his comments about Explosive Ordnance Disposal teams:

In my not so humble opinion, these guys have to be the looniest bastards in the entire Armed Forces. They drive around, wait for line units to find explosives, and then they move to that location with the sole purpose of blowing said explosives up. It’s like common sense, but the exact opposite. I do respect them though, which is something that is very difficult for a Cavalry scout to admit about other Army occupations.


I hear you, Lt. G. Been there, done that and got the T-shirt (and a few scars) to prove it!

His blog is worth reading. Recommended.

Peter

1 comment:

The Old Man said...

Thanks for noticing my little blog. Love yours - it's a daily stop