Monday, March 31, 2008

Back from Texas


I'm back home after this weekend's bloggers rendezvous. A lot of fun was had by all, and it was great to see old friends again. Holly's and JPG's three hounds welcomed me like an old friend, which was nice of them (rather than eat me on sight, which two out of the three are very well-equipped to do if they feel that way inclined). The biggest problem was to keep them off the blow-up air mattress on Saturday night . . . they seemed to think it had been inflated solely and entirely for their benefit!

I made my usual raid on the local used bookstore. There's an unusually good one near H&J, and I seem unable to prevent myself dropping a Franklin or two into their coffers whenever I'm nearby. It's the same when I visit Oleg in Nashville and mutual friends in Knoxville - there are excellent used bookstores in both cities. I'll be in Tennessee in May, all being well, but this time I'm planning to take several boxes of books up with me. I'm busy with a cull of my library, trying to cut down from about 5,000 volumes to around 3,000. It's like pulling teeth! Still, it'll give me trading material instead of having to spend too much money.

Ah, the joys of being a bookworm bibliophile . . .

Peter

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

So, wwhich bookstore(s) do you hit when in Trashvile? I have my favorite, but it isn't well-known.

Peter said...

There are two near Vanderbilt that I visit. One's on the avenue through the university (21st Ave? Can't remember offhand) and the other's a bit further into town. If you have any good suggestions for others, please e-mail me!

Anonymous said...

Culling? You're actually managing to thin the herd?!? Good luck --- every time I try to thin my own books, I quickly seem to be sitting on the floor and reading, instead!

Anonymous said...

I like Book Attic in Rivergate. When in Knoxvile, I never leave without a visit to McKay's.

Anonymous said...

Oops--McKay's is on Papermill Road. Forgot to mention that.