Tuesday, April 2, 2013

My cup runneth over . . .


I'm not sure if Psalm 23, verse 5 has ever been applied to the collection and enjoyment of firearms, but if it hasn't, it's time it was!

Yesterday I reported that I'd bought a Ruger Super Blackhawk .44 Magnum revolver.  It turned out to be a whole lot more valuable than what I'd paid for it.  As I mentioned in the comments to that post, I decided I couldn't keep it in good conscience, as the seller was a friend who hadn't been aware of its true value.  (Neither had I, when I bought it - until I did an Internet search or two.)  Anyway, I called him yesterday afternoon, told him what I'd discovered, and arranged to meet him today to return it.  He was very grateful, and said he had "a couple of other things" in which I might be interested.

Interested?  Try salivating, panting, and lusting after them!

First off, he had a brand-new, unfired, stainless steel Ruger Old Army revolver.




This is probably the strongest, best-designed blackpowder revolver ever built.  It's not a serious hunting or defensive weapon compared to cartridge firearms (although it would do at least as well as any other blackpowder revolver in such a situation, and better than most).  It's a fun gun, pure and simple, for those who want to recreate the days when revolver cylinders had to be loaded with loose powder and ball, a percussion cap had to be carefully inserted over the nipple of each chamber, the gun would be fired with great gushes of smoke and flame, and then laboriously reloaded to do the same thing all over again.  They're a nostalgia trip.





To cut a long story short, my friend offered me this one for what I paid for the Super Blackhawk (which is still less than the Old Army's usual selling price in used condition, much less brand-new and unfired!).  As you can imagine, I almost tripped over my own tongue in agreeing!  We swapped, straight across.  Yes, I had to guard against drooling all over its pristine finish.  Why do you ask?

My good fortune didn't end there.  He has another Ruger New Model Super Blackhawk revolver in .44 Magnum, this one the 'Hunter' model in stainless steel, complete with scope rings.  (The picture below is courtesy of Gunblast's review of this model.)




It's also brand-new, unfired, and in its original box.  He expressed interest in a rifle I have available, and we've agreed that I'll trade him the rifle, plus a little cash, for his Blackhawk - so I'll still have a .44 Magnum revolver, without having to spend much extra cash at all.  I must confess, I prefer the mirror-bright blued finish of the one I bought originally;  but since I want a shooter, not a safe queen, this one is much more appropriate for that use - and its stainless steel construction means it'll be easier to clean and keep in good condition.  Color me very happy.





The cherry on top came after we'd dealt with those two.  He handed over three hundred rounds of .44 Magnum ammunition dating from the 1960's - including original boxes!  Among others, there's a box of Remington 240gr. JSP - which, if I recall correctly, was the first factory load for the .44 Magnum - and two boxes of Winchester 240gr. SWC plated with Lubaloy.  I haven't seen that plating advertised on ammo in years!  He's selling it all to me for a mere 20c per round, because "it's old stuff that he can't guarantee".  Friends, I can't buy empty .44 Magnum cartridge cases for that price!  I can probably sell the older stuff to collectors - there's a market for it.  I'll shoot the rest, then reload the empties.

So, my "good deed for the day" in returning my friend's Super Blackhawk has indeed "been fruitful and multiplied" my firearms blessings.  If I were grinning any more broadly, the reflections from my teeth would be blinding!  I'll bring these along to our annual Blogorado meeting later this year.  I think there are going to be lots of happy bloggers shooting them!



Peter

10 comments:

A SImple Man said...

Sure is nice to see good deed done just for the principle of doing what is right. The icing and the cherry coming after sure is nice too.

c w swanson said...

Don't even google Ruger Blackhawk 357 Maximum. Don't. You've been warned.

Peter said...

@ c w swanson: Too late. I've already fired one. Now, if only I could find one for sale . . .

Rev. Paul said...

If there's a better lesson on the truth of sowing & reaping, I haven't seen it. Congratulations! you blessed man.

:^)

Anonymous said...

RE: Your Ruger Old Army - with .457" ball and FFFG the muzzle energy is right there with modern 357 Magnum loads. And, hard to come by and spendy at factory prices, but extra cylinders are available; those were the original "speed loaders" 140 years ago. Should you find a couple at affordable prices, I'd bet Dennis at Dragon Works could whip up a couple cylinder pouches for them.

If you're up for some mouse practice, there are a few smokeless powder loads for the Old Army which will make cleaning it easier, hence more fun to shoot. I don't want the liability, so I won't pass any along, but three words: "Unique" and "start low." Not too low, however, unless you have a bore rod in .4565" and a plastic hammer.

Anonymous said...

If old ammo has been properly stored it should still be good. In the last year I've shot around 200 rounds of WWII vintage Lake City ammo for my M1 Carbine. Only had one dud round, even though the ammo was close to 70 years old.

Rusty

Jenny said...

Let me guess. Miss D's got you thinking about Alaska. :)

Nice pistols!

Stretch said...

You have found favor with the Gun Gods.
My Uncle John use to clean his stainless steel New Army in the dish washer. Removed the stocks of course and set the cylinder front side down on the glass level.
Took it out right after the rinse cycle and blew it dry with hose from compressor. Lube and done.

Peter said...

@Stretch: I think, if I put my dirty revolver in her dishwasher, Miss D. is going to have several words with me . . . none of them favorable!

:-o

Ajdshootist said...

Over here in the UK BP pistols are the only pistols we can have, myself i had a fixt sight Stainless Old Army
sold it could not hit the side of a hill with it,i use a cheap Pietta .44 rem that is very very accurate
and an .36 London Navy by Uberti great fun but use 777 not black much
easyier to clean a hot kettle works fine just remove the grips.