Today's winner is from Florida.
[A] woman and her boyfriend told the Gainesville Police Department that they had been drinking before the incident at the Georgetown apartments. The woman said she was holding a fireworks novelty item in her hand when she lit the fuse. She had been planning to toss the device out the front door, thinking it would make enough noise to wake her boyfriend.
Instead, the device exploded in her hand, tearing off her thumb, middle and ring fingers.
There's more at the link.
Clearly, the existence and ease of use of alarm clocks has not been sufficiently publicized . . .