Saturday, October 11, 2008

Some amazing photographs


An article in the Daily Mail led me to the Web site of Wally Pacholka. He specializes in taking photographs of well-known American landscapes at night, highlighting the stars. I'm amazed! He has some spectacularly beautiful prints available. Here's a small selection. Click the pictures for a larger view - they're worth it.

False Kiva in Canyonlands National Park, Utah:

The America Southwest is home to thousands of caves that were once home for millenniums of various Indian cliff dwellers. Few are as hauntingly beautiful as "False Kiva", given it's name for the round stone circle that normally would have a room below, but in this case does not. This hidden cave sits half way down a mesa cliff and has a stunning "room with a view" of the Monument Valley like rock formations in Canyonlands National Park in eastern Utah. One can only imagine the thousands of times individuals through the ages saw this same view of Jupiter and the Milky Way parade across the heavens from their very own back yard.




Martian Moonrise:

The moon rises brightly through Arch Rock with Mars captured in the top right corner in The Valley of Fire State Park, Nevada.




Comet Hale-Bopp Over Joshua Tree:

Comet Hale Bopp Trails across the sky over Joshua Tree National Park, California.




Bridalveil Falls, Yosemite National Park, with Sirius:




Grand Tetons National Park at night:




I'm going to look through the many pictures on his Web site at my leisure over the next couple of days. I think a couple of 16"x20" prints are in my future, to be framed and hung on my newly-painted walls. (And no, I don't get any commission or free prints for recommending him - he's never heard of me. I just like his work.)

Peter

No comments: