Thursday, September 10, 2009

In Memoriam


September 11th, 2001.

The World Trade Center, New York.

American Airlines Flight 11 and United Airlines Flight 175.























The Pentagon, Washington D.C.

American Airlines Flight 77.







Somerset County, Pennsylvania, near the town of Shanksville.

United Airlines Flight 93.





246 died on the four flights (including the 19 hijackers).

2,603 died in New York City, including 411 emergency workers.

125 died at the Pentagon.

24 people are still listed as missing, fate unknown.


We remember our dead . . . and those responsible for their deaths.

Peter

6 comments:

Sebastian said...

Damn, it's been so long. I still remember most of that day. School, then I headed off to the library for an hour or so, got home around 5-5.30, turned on the TV and saw disaster. I remember the gut-wrenching feeling I got, then I realized that the US was now certainly pissed off beyond belief...

I raise my glass to salute all the heroes of that day, and to mourn all the victims.

Sebastian said...

I forgot: Never forgive, never forget. The US is doing a good job of turning Islamofascist nutcases into something a dogfood manufacturer would have trouble finding a use for. I can only say "keep up the good work". Now if the rest of us would do our part as well...

Peter, are you interested in a story to write about perhaps? It's sorta related to the 9/11 post...

Old NFO said...

Thank you Peter... And yes, NEVER FORGET!

joe said...

I, also, remember the day quite well. We were tied up in Fourchon, LA, so we had TV reception. I passed by the lounge and the Captain mentioned that a plane had hit a tall building in NYC. I watched for a few minutes when the 2nd plane struck. I didn't get much done the rest of the day...

Anonymous said...

I was a newly wed of ten days when this happened. I Will Never Forget.

Billll said...

There were celebrations in the streets in many middle eastern countries. Some pictures of them got out before the local governments shut them down. Some pics of those would not be inappropriate either.

Just so we remember that in addition to dead Americans, there were celebrating Arabs.