Thursday, September 20, 2018

Doofus Of The Day #1,024


Today's award goes to Cathay Pacific, a Hong Kong-based airline.  It seems they sent one of their Boeing 777's to get a new paint job.  Unfortunately, someone (several someones, including the supervisor[s], I guess) couldn't spell.  Cathay tweeted:




Needless to say, people went overboard with their comments on the pictures.  My favorite response was this one:




You can read the others below Cathay's original tweet.  I'll say this for the airline:  it doesn't seem to mind poking fun at itself, and allows its fans to express their humor as well.  Good for them.




Peter

2 comments:

takirks said...

My guess is that the people doing the lettering are not native speakers of English, and probably grew up using an ideographic language like Chinese.

In which case, I doubt I'd do much better applying a Chinese ideograph to the side of an aircraft. This is really only funny in the context of "Look at the silly foreigner, who can't speak our language...", much like a lot of the silliness with tattoos and t-shirts across cultures. I remember seeing a grandmother in Korea wearing a t-shirt that said "F**k-toy" on it, as she worked her rice field... Kind of a surreal moment, that--My KATUSA refused to tell her what the shirt really said, too embarrassed.

Wayne said...

Reminds me of this one, "Who Are the Chefs?"
https://youtu.be/WPOZbG7ibEE