Monday, March 31, 2008

In honor of April Fools Day . . .


. . . I thought I'd share with you my favorite April Fool spoof.

On April 1st, 1957, the BBC broadcast a Panorama documentary (narrated by the prestigious Richard Dimbleby) which included a short description of gathering the spaghetti harvest in Switzerland. Viewers were reminded that this was, of course, on a relatively small scale compared to Italy, with its "vast spaghetti plantations in the Po Valley"!

The program was so realistic that some viewers wanted to know where they could get their own spaghetti plants for their gardens! (The BBC reportedly advised callers to "place a sprig of spaghetti in a tin of tomato sauce and hope for the best"!). Others tried to book holidays to the spaghetti-growing regions of Europe. It's on my all-time "great pranks" list.

Here's the video.





Peter

2 comments:

phlegmfatale said...

That's hilarious, and, um, I think I have to have spaghetti for dinner, now!

Rachel Leigh Smith said...

This is truly one of the best pranks of all time.