Tuesday, October 21, 2008

The best-carved pumpkin I've ever seen!


With Halloween approaching, the shops are full of pumpkins, and local 'artists' are advertising that they'll carve your pumpkins into masterpieces - for a suitable fee, of course. I don't celebrate the commercial version of Halloween - I focus more on All Saints Day, November 1st, from which 'All Hallows Eve(n)' or Halloween takes its name - but I enjoy looking at the many and varied artistically-carved pumpkins that show up at this time of year.

I suspect I may be somewhat less impressed by local efforts this year. Don Z. e-mailed this picture of a pumpkin masterpiece.




I have to admit, that's the most intricately-carved pumpkin I've ever seen! I imagine even H. P. Lovecraft would approve of it.

Peter

EDITED TO ADD: I've subsequently learned that the pumpkin was the work of US artist Ray Villafane. I've published another article about his pumpkin carving art, with more photographs of his work and a link to his tutorial on how to carve your own. Recommended reading.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Obviously a depiction of a Predator alien from the Predator films. A damn good likeness.

phlegmfatale said...

This pumpkin scares me.