Monday, November 3, 2008

Thoughts before election day


Well, after almost two years of campaigning (and what a drag that's been!), it all comes down to tomorrow. The opinion polls give Senator Obama a commanding lead, but various other sources (particularly the supporters of Senator Hillary Clinton) beg to differ. We'll know in 36 hours or so (provided we don't have another Florida-like fiasco).

I've said most of what I wanted to say in the run-up to the election in these two posts. I'd like to leave three thoughts with you on the eve of voting.

1. The USA won't cease to exist as a result of tomorrow's election. Extreme partisans on both sides are carrying on as if it'll signal the dawn of Armageddon if their opponent should win. I don't believe that for a moment. I have profound reservations about both candidates, and I don't think either will make a great President: but we've had bad Presidents before, and the nation has survived them. We'll do so again.

2. Whoever wins, provided that it's a clear, convincing win (with no room for voter fraud or ballot-rigging to have influenced the result), will be the duly elected President. As such, he deserves our support to do the best job he can. We may disagree profoundly with his decisions, programs, appointments, etc.: but the nature of a democracy (and the US Republic is founded on democratic choice) is that the winner gets to implement his program. If we don't like the winner, or his program, we'll have a chance to vote for something better fairly soon. If the incumbent does as badly as we think, other voters will join with us to replace him.

3. My primary recommendation for voting is this. If your Congressional representative or Senator is one of those who voted in favor of the $700 billion bail-out plan last month, vote against him or her, irrespective of their political party! We've been lumbered with a grossly irresponsible law, a crippling financial burden, and have no guarantee that it'll work. I think that those who supported it, in the face of those undeniable facts, have no right whatsoever to expect our vote. I don't care what party they belong to or what their views are - if they voted for the bail-out, vote for their opponent!

Peter

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good point.

Anonymous said...

Your point number two is already a non-starter ie. dead demcrap voters as well as fraudulent demo voters.

It's me said...

I agree with voting AGAINST those numbskulls who brought us the bailout. It doesn't even matter that the opponent is a party I'm not. I refuse to reward these morons.