Saturday, November 8, 2008

Anti-smoking drug linked to suicide?


I'm alarmed by a report from England indicating that a popular anti-smoking medication, sold there under the brand name of Champix and in the USA under the name of Chantix, may give rise to suicidal impulses. I've had experience with this medication myself - hence my concern.

Health chiefs have revealed that ten people have committed suicide after taking a controversial anti-smoking drug linked to depression.

The disclosure by the Government’s drugs watchdog is the first time officials have revealed the link between Champix and suicide in this country. Earlier this year, US authorities announced they were investigating 37 similar cases there.

The Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency (MHRA) website says a total of 24 people taking the nicotine-replacement have died, of whom ten took their own lives.

A further 213 claimed they had experienced suicidal thoughts and 407 said they were suffering depression.

There is no evidence that Champix has been a factor in any of the deaths. However, some experts are concerned that the drug, used by almost half a million people in Britain, may cause depressive thoughts and mood swings.

The MHRA says the number of users reporting adverse side effects while using Champix, also known by its generic name varenicline, has doubled in the past seven months – up from 1,811 in February to 3,541 in September.

The figures are on the MHRA’s website, which holds regularly updated information about the reported effects of drugs licensed for use in the UK. The information is provided by doctors, nurses and patients.


I'd like to add my own experience to this warning. I was given a prescription for Chantix in an attempt to 'kick the habit' a year or two back. I found myself having unpredictable depressive episodes, which got worse the longer I took the drug. I stopped taking it, and the depression soon cleared up.

Based on this report, plus my own experience, I'd like to warn readers that if your doctor recommends this drug, do please be very careful. I think a lot more research needs to be done on its depressive effects.

Peter

6 comments:

Unknown said...

A very good friend of mine tried to quit smoking with Chantix. She began to have "visions" of killing herself. First of running her car into a tree. Then later in the week as she put on her make-up, she had a vision of breaking her tea glass and slashing her wrists. When she called her MD the MD told her to go to the emergency room ASAP. Turns out that there is information on the website telling people to not take it if you have ANY family history of depression, much less suffer from it. Believe it or not this is not on the packaging that is included with medicine.

PresterSean said...

It was a miracle drug for me. I had some issues with vivid dreams and constipation, but I stopped my pack a day habit on day 5- 1 day early. I has some nausea initally but that passed by week 2.

I haven't had a a cigarette in 11 months. Occasionally I want one, but I can say no. Chantix really, really worked for me.

Justin Buist said...

Mixing it with alcohol is supposed to be pretty bad too.

Remember the case about a year ago in Texas where a home owner shot a "warning shot" through his back door after his crazy neighbor had been banging on it for a while? Well, he shot the guy in the head (got no-billed on it too!) and it turns out the crazy neighbor was on Chiantix and had been drinking. The drug probably contributed to his erratic behaviour.

Becky said...

I got totally nauseous when the dose reached the 2 a day level, and also had cold sweats. When I looked it up on the internet it said that it had originally been a blood pressure medication.

I wasn't too happy on it either, but not depressed or suicidal, thank goodness.

I stopped taking it and am looking inside for some focus and will power instead. Still looking...

deadstick said...

Chantix actually admits that in their advertising.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, on one of the forums I frequent, we had a member have a similar experience with it- serious, suicidal depressive episodes mixed with rage that was borderline psychotic.

Messing with neurochemistry is tricksy business, it is.