Thursday, November 27, 2008

Things you've done


El Capitan, over at Baboon Pirates, is circulating a meme he got from Adam Lawson. It lists 100 activities. You're supposed to highlight those you've done in bold print. Anything not in bold . . . well, you haven't got around to that yet.

I thought I'd have a go.


THINGS I'VE DONE:

1. Started your own blog. You're reading it.
2. Slept under the stars. Many times.
3. Played in a band. Church bands, but I guess they count?
4. Visited Hawaii.
5. Watched a meteor shower. Many times. In the Southern Hemisphere, the skies are clearer and brighter than in the North, and there were many nights when we'd lie outside and watch the stars, meteors and satellites.
6. Given more than you can afford to charity.
7. Been to Disneyland.
8. Climbed a mountain. Many of them.
9. Held a praying mantis.
10. Sang a solo.
11. Bungee jumped.
12. Visited Paris.
13. Watched a lightning storm at sea. It's quite an experience on a small yacht . . . easier and less scary on a warship or larger vessel.
14. Taught yourself an art from scratch. If photography counts as an art.
15. Adopted a child.
16. Had food poisoning. Uh, yeah. Nasty.
17. Walked to the top of the Statue of Liberty.
18. Grown your own vegetables.
19. Seen the Mona Lisa in France.
20. Slept on an overnight train. Many times in South Africa, on the two-day run between Johannesburg and Cape Town.
21. Had a pillow fight.
22. Hitch hiked.
23. Taken a sick day when you’re not ill.
24. Built a snow fort.
25. Held a lamb.
26. Gone skinny dipping.
27. Run a Marathon.
28. Ridden in a gondola in Venice.
29. Seen a total eclipse.
30. Watched a sunrise or sunset. One of my favorite pastimes.
31. Hit a home run.
32. Been on a cruise.
33. Seen Niagara Falls in person.
34. Visited the birthplace of your ancestors.
35. Seen an Amish community.
36. Taught yourself a new language. Two at school, two on a 'learn-as-you-go' basis: five in all.
37. Had enough money to be truly satisfied.
38. Seen the Leaning Tower of Pisa in person.
39. Gone rock climbing.
40. Seen Michelangelo's David.
41. Sung karaoke.
42. Seen Old Faithful geyser erupt.
43. Bought a stranger a meal at a restaurant.
44. Visited Africa. I was born and grew up there.
45. Walked on a beach by moonlight. Many times. Happy memories.
46. Been transported in an ambulance. Both as patient and as medic!
47. Had your portrait painted.
48. Gone deep sea fishing.
49. Seen the Sistine Chapel in person.
50. Been to the top of the Eiffel Tower in Paris.
51. Gone scuba diving or snorkeling. The latter.
52. Kissed in the rain.
53. Played in the mud.
54. Gone to a drive-in theater.
55. Been in a movie.
56. Visited the Great Wall of China.
57. Started a business. If a ministry counts as a business?
58. Taken a martial arts class. Judo and Kendo, in my youth.
59. Visited Russia.
60. Served at a soup kitchen.
61. Sold Girl Scout Cookies.
62. Gone whale watching.
63. Got flowers for no reason.
64. Donated blood, platelets or plasma. All three.
65. Gone sky diving.
66. Visited a Nazi Concentration Camp.
67. Bounced a check.
68. Flown in a helicopter.
69. Saved a favorite childhood toy.
70. Visited the Lincoln Memorial.
71. Eaten Caviar.
72. Pieced a quilt.
73. Stood in Times Square.
74. Toured the Everglades.
75. Been fired from a job.
76. Seen the Changing of the Guards in London.
77. Broken a bone.
78. Been on a speeding motorcycle. And fallen off one!
79. Seen the Grand Canyon in person.
80. Published a book. My first book was published in 1984.
81. Visited the Vatican.
82. Bought a brand new car.
83. Walked in Jerusalem.
84. Had your picture in the newspaper.
85. Read the entire Bible.
86. Visited the White House.
87. Killed and prepared an animal for eating.
88. Had chickenpox.
89. Saved someone’s life.
90. Sat on a jury.
91. Met someone famous.
92. Joined a book club.
93. Lost a loved one.
94. Had a baby.
95. Seen the Alamo in person.
96. Swam in the Great Salt Lake.
97. Been involved in a law suit.
98. Owned a cell phone.
99. Been stung by a bee.
100. Read an entire book in one day. Oh, yes! I think my record for one day was six books, all fairly thick ones. In the two to three years immediately after my disabling injury in 2004, and subsequent surgeries, there were times the pain was so bad I couldn't sleep at all: so I'd read for 24 hours straight, perhaps longer.

Well, there you are. I've done 59 of those things. 41 to go!

I invite my blogging readers to give this meme a go for themselves.

Peter

6 comments:

Julie said...

52 for me (if i can count correctly) - answered in my blog.

Julie said...

forgot to say, that i found this very interesting - both reading yours and doing mine! Thanks.

Anonymous said...

This my friend here is a really long list and what I do not understand is where in the world you get free time to do all these things in a busy schedule.

Anonymous said...

MikeinAppalachia-Nice list, 64 for me, another 6 for my wife-does that count?

Peter said...

Moshe, I've had fifty years to do them in. That helps! :-)

Mike, I guess that counts, all right! You've been busy!

Anonymous said...

It's a good list, I guess, but there are things on there that don't interest me, and things NOT on it that I DO want to do. I guess I'll just have to replace some items!

(And even with that objection, I've got fifty-eight of the hundred as this list stands.)