Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Doofus Of The Day #31

Oh, dear.

A tourist in Australia is lucky to be alive after being bitten on the penis by one of the world’s most venomous snakes.

The man was having a roadside toilet stop when the deadly brown snake emerged from the bush and lunged at his crotch.

It bit him on the end of the penis but did not release a significant amount of toxin through its fangs.

Paramedics rushed to the aid of the tourist, who was on a road near the town of Laura, on the wild and rugged Cape York Peninsula of Queensland.

"It certainly had a swipe at him," an ambulance spokesman told the Cairns Post. "But it didn’t envenomate him. As it came through it must have got a bit of a shock."

Just 'a bit of a shock', eh? Yeah, I'll buy that!

In Africa, such hazards are not unknown. Most kids are brought up to 'look before they leak', in order to spot such dangers before exposing themselves to them (so to speak). Clearly, tourists in Australia aren't being given the right sort of briefing!



Christina RN LMT said...

He's certainly extremely lucky, but...OW!

GeorgeH said...

I don't care what country you're in, take a dump on a poisonous snake and there are gonna be consequences.

Rogue Medic said...

Did the medics try to suck the venom out?

Peter said...

RM, I am SO not going there!


Rogue Medic said...

There actually is a venom removal pump, but I'm going to have to take the Austin Powers approach to that.

"I don't even know what this is! This sort of thing ain't my bag, baby. "