Tuesday, October 4, 2011

An interesting musical (and societal) perspective


I've quoted Casey's Daily Dispatch on this blog before concerning economic conditions and prospects. However, today's edition struck a whimsical note, which started me thinking. The author, Vedran Vuk, took off at a tangent to consider country music versus rap 'music' (a suffix I typically refuse to grant to rap under any circumstances!). Here's an excerpt.

... country music is the sound of American politics. Think about it. There are always references to family, church, farmers, factory workers, small towns, etc. Politicians use the same approach word for word whether it’s referring to kitchen tables or visiting small towns. Furthermore, politicians never forget their obligatory mentions of farmers – which is particularly confusing since the vast majority of Americans no longer farm. According to the BLS, fewer than 1.2 million Americans are employed in farming, fishing, and forestry. Frankly, most Americans aren’t farmers and neither are most listeners of country music. So why the constant appeal to the farming profession? In my opinion, it’s a national obsession with a pastoral fantasy that no longer exists. And for this reason, it manages to pull at our heart strings.

. . .

While country music artists sing about working on the farm, many rap singers recount tales of growing up on welfare. With 46 million Americans collecting food stamps, which story better fits the modern American experience: the farmer or the welfare recipient? Exactly, but let’s take it one step further. The US currently has 2.3 million inmates behind bars. There are about 5 million Americans on parole or probation. Compare those numbers to the less than 1.2 million farmers.

In my opinion, rap music is a refreshing reminder that we’re not in Kansas any more. We don’t live in a country where everyone is really hard-working and was raised with good values. A sizeable portion of the population has no intention of staying out of trouble and getting a solid job. Their career ambitions amount to being the toughest and most-respected thug on the street. Their idea of a good time is some cheap drinks and if in luck, smoking a little crack or crystal meth in front of the TV. A good chunk of the US citizenry is not interested in balancing the budget and steering the nation to the “right” course. They do not give a damn if Rome burns the ground. In fact, they’re ready to partake in its destruction.

While country music may make us feel good, it’s just not a reflection of reality. Travel to an urban hellhole near you, and the whole rap music thing will make a whole lot of sense.


There's more at the link.

I've never been a fan of country music (perhaps because I'm an immigrant, and wasn't exposed to it growing up). As for rap music, my major exposure to it has been as a prison chaplain, where I've encountered it played, listened to, jived to, and lived out by inmates of the worst and most violent kinds. I suppose, as a result, I've come to associate rap almost exclusively with criminals. I have no time for it whatsoever. In fact, when I see how rap 'artists' portray, carry, and speak about themselves, I tend to instinctively check that I'm in a position to defend myself against them if necessary!

Even so, I have to admit that there may be something to Mr. Vuk's analysis. What say you, readers?

Peter

4 comments:

trailbee said...

Very astute observations. He's right on the mark. I was introduced to country music via Ernest Tubb, Web Pierce, Burl Ives, Hal Williams, so I'm used to a different, earlier kind of CM.
Personally, I really dislike rap, which I don't consider music, but then that's my right. I also would not bungee jump from the Empire State Building, nor the Eiffel Tower. It's all a matter of choice. But what DOES seem weird is white kids cruising down Main Streets with rap blaring from their windows. Huh?

Rev. Paul said...

His point is valid, but I'm not going to switch from country to illiterate rhyming vulgarities with a drum beat just because it's a reflection of today's culture.

I stick with country because it's a reminder of what we were when America was great. And for the record, I grew up with the Beatles and the Stones.

raven said...

Vedran's been listening to "New Country", perhaps. Pop music with a drawl and a cowboy hat. Cliche ridden mass market crap. Kinda makes me fall to pieces...

Real country music got it's start in the Appalachian highlands. Got a touch of the blues out of the delta. Had a solid handful of dustbowl heartache thrown in, and got seasoned with some honkytonk tears. Like the blues, the core is love won , and lost.

Patsy Cline.
Townes Van Zant
Johnny Horton.
JerryJeff Walker.
The Carter Family.
Willy Nelson
Emmylou Harris.

ETC-
This is a long,long list.

On a Wing and a Whim said...

Not as valid as you think - the "number of farmers" statistic you see thrown about a lot only counts the people who make their primary living as farmers. Their full-time occupation, as you will. It does not count everyone with 15 to 80 acres of land that works a primary job to financially maintain themselves while also farming their land. If you added the number of people who own cattle, horses, over an acre of crops, or orchards to that number, you may find a drastically different ratio.