Monday, September 27, 2010

If you were 'stop-lossed', you may have money coming

I understand that military personnel who were prevented from leaving their service at the scheduled time due to a 'stop-loss' order, anytime from September 11, 2001 through September 30, 2009, are eligible for a special payment.

The 2009 War Supplemental Appropriations Act established Retroactive Stop Loss Special Pay (RSLSP), providing $500 for each month/partial month served in stop loss status from September 11, 2001 through September 30, 2009. Being in "stop loss" status meant that the affected troop could not leave active service when his or her tour of duty ended. This typically extended tours of duty by several months for each troop affected.

Service members, veterans, and beneficiaries of servicemembers whose service was involuntarily extended under Stop Loss between Sept. 11, 2001 and Sept. 30, 2009 are eligible for RSLSP.

To receive this benefit, those who served under stop loss must submit a claim for the special pay. Throughout the year, the services have been reaching out to servicemembers, veterans and their families through direct mail, veteran service organizations, and the media. But there is still money left to be claimed, and the deadline is approaching. The average benefit is $3,700.

Individuals who meet eligibility criteria may submit an application between Oct. 21, 2009 and Oct., 21 2010. By law, there is no authorization to make payments on claims that are submitted after Oct. 21, 2010, so apply NOW.

Eligible members should print, complete and sign Department of Defense Form 2944, Claim for Retroactive Stop Loss Payment. (Link is to an Adobe Acrobat document in .PDF format.)

There's more at the link. Bold print above is my emphasis.

I urge any readers who may qualify for this payment to apply while there's still time; and please pass the word to any of your friends and family who may qualify.



Shell said...

If I may - you made an error in your first sentence. Very few people who are "stop-lossed" have their term of military service extended. What Stop-Loss does is extend *time on active duty*. When one enlists the standard contract is for eight years of service - three to four years on active duty and the remainder on inactive reserve. In certain jobs the service deems a critical need the SM may have time of service extended - and officers do far more than enlisted personnel because an officer's term of service is considered "indefinite" because they're commissioned - but more than the vast majority are simply required to do more time than they thought they would, and agreed to, on active duty. The ones who piss and moan about it should have taken the time time to read their contracts. There is in every one a statement that *all* of the agreements between the service and the SM are subject to the needs of the service.

Shell said...

Oops! I forgot to say that I agree with Uncle Sam offering added compensation to those who were involuntarily extended. While they knew or should have known what they were getting into, it *is* a hardship on many to have it done to them. This I don't mind my tax dollars being spent on.

Old NFO said...

Shell, Stop Loss refers to EAOS (End of Active Obligated Service), not to your total commitment.

You are correct about the 8 yr totals, but the majority signed for 4 years active; that is where stop loss kicks in is after that 4th year.

Shell said...

Right, that's what I said, NFO.