Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Doofus Of The Day #451


Today's winner is from Danvers, Massachusetts.

A man crashed through a guardrail on the White Fuel Bridge and plummeted into the Waters River in Danvers after he was distracted by text messaging while driving Monday night, officials said.

Gerald Maher, 22, of Danvers will be summonsed to court on charges of negligent operation of a motor vehicle and texting while driving, Danvers police said. A Salem District Court official said a court date has not yet been scheduled.

Danvers Police Captain Patrick Ambrose said Maher, who was distracted by texting, hit a snow bank, swerved into the opposite lane on Route 35, crashed through the bridge guardrail, and landed in the river around 11:45 p.m.

"The guardrail was just completely torn off," he said.


There's more at the link.

I just can't fathom people who allow their technological gadgets to preoccupy them to such an extent that they risk their own lives, and place others at risk as well. A schoolboy was killed in England just a couple of weeks ago because he ran while listening to music through his iPod - and, as a result, didn't hear a train approaching a level-crossing.

This video clip highlights the dangers of texting while driving. I urge you to please have your loved ones watch it, and pass it along to others. It might save lives . . . perhaps even your own.







Peter

4 comments:

Morris said...

Peter, I couldn't agree more. Local laws stipulate we can use mobile phones in vehicles IF they're hands free. Even so, when using my bluetooth headset, it *still* distracts me more than I'm comfortable with.

Cybrludite said...

If I should croak while texting, my final message will either be a Pythonesque "Arrrrrrrg" or the more mundane "Oh, shiiiiiiiiiii..."

suz said...

I hope they make him pay for the guardrail.

I love that video. It should be required viewing in every drivers' ed class.

BobG said...

I worry more about celltards than I do about drunken drivers.