Sunday, January 9, 2011

Welcome to China!


I've thought for many years that the title of 'Worst Taxi Drivers In the World' should be shared between Rome, Italy, and Maseru, capital city of Lesotho. In the former city, I can distinctly recall closing my eyes firmly as we left Fiumicino Airport, and not daring to open them again until we reached our hotel, the cacophony of horns, screeching tires, squealing brakes and Italian profanity providing an unforgettable soundtrack to our journey. In the latter country, I can recall a Maseru taxi-driver with a 16-seat Toyota Hi-Ace passenger van (filled with 31 passengers, plus himself - we were sitting in each other's laps!), doing 40-50 mph up a narrow dirt-surfaced mountain pass, honking his horn vigorously at every corner, and flatly refusing to slow down. It does wonders for one's prayer life when one looks out of the window on a corner, to see the valley floor, a thousand feet below, and nothing but thin air between you and the bottom!

However, this video from tourists arriving in Beijing, China, makes me believe that there are depths of taxi-driver incompetence (and possibly sadism) yet unplumbed.







Remind me to take a bus or a train if I should visit China, would you? Please?





Peter

7 comments:

Glenn B said...

I would have been beating him senseless then taking over driving myself.

Glenn B said...

What am I saying - he was obviously already senseless!

Scott James said...

I would beat him for his awful choice in Radio stations and the fact that hes playing it far too loud. Lesotho is terrible but I was always suprised by the Goat/Cattle herders in Botswana, usually a small child with a willow branch who would allow their flocks to cross roads randomly LOL.

Noons said...

Who needs exit ramps? Just drive down the access ramps!
LOL!

Emily S. said...

Ooooh yes. I was in Beijing for a couple weeks a while back - I can assure you the taxi rides there were a whole new level of adventure.

Particularly when, at one point, the people I was with ended up needing to separate into two different taxis - at one point with all the fluent Chinese-speakers in a different vehicle, and only written directions and a cell phone to try to get across to my driver where I needed to go.

Interesting indeed. *g*

- Emily

Old NFO said...

Oh... oh... Yeah, beating would be a good start! Where is a cop when you NEED one!

joe said...

Drivers in Italy are scary sometimes, but at least they stay on the correct side of the center divider. The same can't be said for the taxi and rickshaw drivers in India. Being a passenger when the guy driving plays chicken with a bus isn't an experience that leads to a desire to offer large tips or patronize the same business on the return trip.

WV: scuta. Really? That's about all the vehicle was: a scooter with a back seat and canopy.