Friday, July 2, 2010

I don't get it


This advertisement for the Nissan Qashqai leaves me scratching my head. I don't see the point they're trying to make.







I mean . . . bowling balls to represent the hazards of urban driving? It makes no sense. I daresay the advertising agency was trying to capitalize on the success of the unique Sony Bravia 'bouncing balls' advertisement (which is really superb, a classic of its kind), but I'm not sure the image makes the transition from TV colors to vehicle safety with any success.

What say you, readers? Does this Nissan advertisement do anything for you other than puzzle you?

Peter

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think we are about to see a spate of "damage by bowling ball" incidents.

Anonymous said...

A really stupid ad.

On a Wing and a Whim said...

The add designed had a "brilliant" brain wave somewhere between the bowling alley and picking his kid up out of the ball pit at Chuck E Cheese while balls were being hurled at parents "coming in to get you if you don't get out here this minute!"?

Either way, it's colorful and silly, and if it's colorful, silly, and gets you to watch, that's the point of an ad.

Dave said...

It seemed like a really good idea during the marketing brain storming session... Right?

Groundhog said...

I just watched it and decided to comment immediately. In that short time span I completely have forgotten what the car was they were selling. Given that I'd say the ad was a failure. That said, the balls crashing down the road and into cars did look kinda cool ;)

jimbob86 said...

"It seemed like a really good idea during the marketing brain storming session... Right?"

...umm .... er ... if'n that session was held 'round a bong...

.....Hey, didja see that Sony commercial with the bounce'n superballs?

Yeah, man that was cool!


Wouldn't it been a whole lot cooler with BOWLING BALLS?!?!???

Yeah! Let's do THAT, dude!

Buddy said...

Anybody remember the lampooning of the Infiniti brand by a comic strip of which I cannot remember the name of? They called it the Absurditi... and made fun of the advertising, or lack thereof, of the new line! Maybe it was the same agency here?