Monday, July 5, 2010

A different sort of bullring


The annual Festival Major is taking place in Denia, Spain, at present. This includes the famous Bous a la Mar, or 'Bulls in the Sea'. Unlike the usual bullfights in that country, this doesn't involve bloodshed (of the bulls, anyway - spectators might suffer a bit!) The bulls are released into a waterfront 'arena' filled with eager spectators, all trying to taunt the bulls into charging them. To escape, they usually end up diving into the sea, followed by the bull!




The water isn't necessarily a safe place, given that the bull's in there too . . .




Swimming spectators are expected to extricate themselves. The lifesavers concentrate on the animals!




I haven't found any video clips of this year's festival, but here's one from 2008 that gives some idea of what goes on.







Not for me, thank you . . . but if any adventurous readers want to have a go, please leave a comment to let us know how you did!



Peter

2 comments:

Miz Minka said...

Oh, my, that brought back memories!! My family vacationed in Denia when I was a kid in the late 60s/early 70s, and I remember the bulls and the people ending up in the water. :)

I always thought this was pretty much the only acceptable kind of bull fighting. I won't watch the other kind.

Unknown said...

This is nothing but animal cruelty. I didn't see anywhere where this bull could get out of the water easily. It is a disgrace to see these animals taunted and tormented like this.