Monday, May 2, 2011

Now that's a good idea!


Via Wired, we learn of a nifty invention.

Which is worse, scalding your mouth on a beverage that’s too hot, or waiting too long for it to cool and taking a swig of room temperature coffee? I’d say the former is worse, but my wife would argue that the latter is at least equally bad.

Dave Petrillo and Dave Jackson have teamed up with science to bring us a solution to the problem. Their cool looking stainless steel coffee beans absorb heat, quickly cooling your coffee down to a comfortable 140 degrees Fahrenheit then slowly releasing the heat to maintain that temperature.




Coffee Joulies are a unique bean that uses a phase change material, or PCM, to maintain a comfortable drinking temperature. You’re already familiar with one PCM, ice, that is used to keep drinks cold. The ice absorbs heat as it changes to a liquid, keeping your drink cool.




Like the ice, the PCM inside the Coffee Joulie changes from a solid to a liquid and absorbs any excess heat. Since this phase change happens at about 140 degrees the result is a near-perfect drinking temperature. As the drink starts to cool off the PCM starts to solidify, giving up its heat and keeping the drink warm.


There's more at the link.

That looks really useful! The inventors are fulfilling orders from those who invested in the project at present, but Coffee Joulies will be on general sale soon. (No, I'm not getting anything for mentioning them; I simply like a good idea when I see it.)

Peter

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I nevr met a gizmo I didn't find fascinating, and if these work they'll fix one of the few real problems I have left. Thanks for the tip, I'd never have had the first clue to look for these.

Jim

LabRat said...

That is... it's...

...Wonderful. I feel honestly blessed to live in a place and age where this is a problem to be solved, really.

Anonymous said...

I like the idea but they seem a little large. I need all the caffeine I can get in the morning and these might take up too much room. Maybe I just need a larger cup.

Keith

Anonymous said...

nvm,

Displacement: 0.75 oz (1.5 Tbsp) per bean

Douglas2 said...

When UC Davis tested hundreds of coffee drinkers to see what their preferred temperature for consuming coffee was, the average was 168.1°F (75.6°C).

I can only surmise that these people promulgating 140 degrees F as the "perfect" temperature for coffee have no idea what coffee is supposed to taste like.

Anonymous said...

What happens if you accidently swallow a couple?

I suppose, since they have no rough edges they'll "pass" right through your gastric system.

OMG.......Think of a cracked porcelain toilet bowl!

Jason said...

They really ought to build it into the coffee mug.