Thursday, May 6, 2010

That's a hell of a way to die!

I'm more than a little grossed-out by the death of an unfortunate man in China.

A man has died after an eel that was inserted into his rectum gnawed away at his bowels, causing agonising injuries which were eventually fatal.

The 59-year-old man, a chef, was reportedly taken to a Sichuan hospital complaining of abdominal pain, dehydration and a great deal of anal bleeding. He was soon diagnosed as being in a severe state of shock.

Doctors were mystified as to the cause, and obtained permission from his family to undertake an exploratory laparotomy. Cutting open his innards, they discovered a 50cm long Asian swamp eel lodged in his rectum.

Though dead, the eel had apparently already wrought havoc on his innards, biting its way through his intestines prior to dying. Internal bleeding and infection rapidly set in.

He was reported to have eaten a lot of eel the previous day, but otherwise doctors had no idea how the creature had got there. His condition quickly worsened.

He lingered for 10 days in intensive care but eventually succumbed to the injuries and sepsis.

The likely cause was eventually established - he had apparently been drinking with friends, and had passed out. His friends had decided it would be amusing to insert a live eel into his anus whilst he was comatose.

There's more at the link.

With "friends" like that, who needs enemies?



William said...

I don't buy it. Pain will rouse people from sleep--you need extra anesthesia for painful procedures like sawing through a sternum. Though alcohol can be used as an anesthetic--I just do not believe this is physiologically possible.

William the Coroner

Anonymous said...

Correction: With friends like that, who needs enemas? :-)

Andrew Smith
Brisbane, Australia

Popgun said...

Not to mention the stupidity of drinking until you are oblivious.


Steve Florman said...

Darn it, Andrew from Brisbane took the words right out of my mouth. :)

Diamond Mair said...

Ye-eah, I was gonna say what Andrew said, too .................. ;-)

Semper Fi'

Ambulance Driver said...

You know, eel porn has its own niche on the internet.

Rule #34: If you can envision it, there is porn of it on the internet.

william the coroner said...

AD I don't eel like looking for it. I'm afraid I'll get hooked. Then there's all the whaling about how I'm wasting my time on the internet, the people around me will be crabby, and then my job will be finished and I won't be able to support my squids.

I still think the story is fishy.

Anonymous said...

The man didn't die ... he was taken off oxygen after 10 days, the original article says. And the English newspaper needs to hire someone who can actually read Chinese. >:E (In fact there's a whole line on how he demonstrated how miraculous life is.)

It's still gross though.

Anonymous said...

If his friends are tried for the death, would they get the eelectric chair?