Monday, January 3, 2011

The Facebook generation: addicted to the Internet?


The Telegraph reports that avid computer users and Web surfers are demonstrating physical withdrawal symptoms when deprived of their technological 'fix'.

Turning off mobile phones, avoiding the internet and tuning out of the television and radio can leave people suffering from symptoms similar to those seen in drug addicts trying to go cold turkey, researchers have found.

The scientists asked volunteers to stay away from all emails, text messages, Facebook and Twitter updates for 24 hours. They found that the participants began to develop symptoms typically seen in smokers attempting to give up.

Some of those taking part said they felt like they were undergoing "cold turkey" to break a hard drug habit, while others said it felt like going on a diet. The condition is now being described as Information Deprivation Disorder.

. . .

The findings will fuel concerns raised by neurologists and psychologists about the impact that excessive use of the internet, computer games and social networking sites are having on the so-called "Net Generation" of teenagers and young adults.


There's more at the link.

I'm not sure what to make of this. Part of me wants to kick many teenagers out of the house, get them out into the fresh air doing something physical rather than sitting in front of TV sets or computers or game consoles all day long. I think that would solve a great deal of the problem, right there. On the other hand, there have always been people (relatively few in number) who obsessively fixate on certain elements in their lives to the exclusion and/or detriment of others. (The expression 'cat lady' perfectly describes at least one such personality type.) The Internet is merely the latest thing for such people to fixate upon, and as such, I don't think it's necessarily to blame for their condition.

I'm also rather dubious about giving this 'condition' a defined name and place in psychotherapy. Calling it 'Information Deprivation Disorder' seems like overkill at the very least. Psychological and psychiatric 'disorders' have multiplied like particularly energetic and fertile rabbits over the past few decades, often without any clear reason for doing so. It's almost as if a psychotherapist's professional reputation depends on having 'discovered' a new 'disorder'! This may be more of the same.

What say you, readers? Is this something that's serious enough to be classified as a disorder, or is it just a case of people needing to be kicked out of the house and into the fresh air for a while?

Peter

6 comments:

Andrew C said...

I'm 23, and would probably qualify as an "avid" computer user and web surfer. However, there are few things I relish more than when I disappear for a few nights and go to my parents' cabin or out camping. I use technology so much in my day to day life, that on vacation I'm very happy to get away from it!

I would view the necessary solution as kicking teenagers outside more often - and doing things that are off the grid and fun. Some psychological disorders could definitely contribute to a fixation on connectedness, but the "withdrawal" from technology does not need to be classified as a disorder.

Anonymous said...

hm, I wonder case to case what the circumstances were of those asked to desist from computer use. there are times when (particularly if I have other activities) I am more than happy to leave my computer alone for days or weeks at a time. given the frequency I use my computer for work and communication with long distance friends and relatives, however, there are times when being removed from my computer access does cause anxiety and a longing to have it back, usually because of in progress conversations or other unfinished business, something that would just take a different form were computers completely removed from the equation.
yes, we become to varying degrees dependent on technology, but I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing

Anonymous said...

I think that for those who have been raised with video games, Twitter, constant e-mail and texting et al, it could indeed be a true psychological condition not unlike an addiction. In a way it makes sense, given the behavioral changes I've seen over the past 15 years or so:greatly shortened attention spans, inability to concentrate on a single thing for more than two or three minutes, people actually acting emotionally lost when forced to give up internet and cell phones for an hour (my class time). That said, there are a lot more people foe whom it is probably akin to losing status. "But no one will take me seriously if I don't have my Crackberry/ iGizmo/cell phone going all the time!"
LittleRed1

perlhaqr said...

More likely a case of overzealous researchers hoping to scare up some funding.

As for an addiction, I don't buy it. By any hoped for definition, I'd be the poster child for such a thing. I'm 34. I got an Atari 2600 in 1981 for my 5th Christmas, I've been a computer programmer for nearly as long, and I've had 'net access for 21 years.

And I can turn off my phone and go hang out in the middle of nowhere and enjoy it just fine, for days at a time.

*shrug*

LabRat said...

"Information Deprivation Disorder", really? I think we already have a word for this, and it's called "boredom".

I'm not particularly impressed. As I rant on about, our minds shape themselves to what we do with them. Some people never bother to learn to amuse themselves without certain inputs; before the internet, these personality types were usually identifiable as those who had a constant need for company and couldn't occupy themselves without it. It's just now, the other people no longer need to be physically present.

I don't own a netbook or smartphone precisely because I like to be out of contact when I'm away from my keys, be it for the afternoon or week. However, if you take my books away too you will see me acting just as anxious and deprived as these folks.

Anonymous said...

I question how much actual information is involved. World of Warcrack is data, but there is no gain involved.

Antibubba