Friday, July 8, 2011

5,000th post!


I didn't even notice it last night, but my post about the EPA yesterday evening was the 5,000th post on this blog since I began it on January 1st, 2008. How time flies! That's an average of 3.9 posts per day over 1,284 days.

Blog readership appears to be steady after a decline earlier this year, when Google adjusted its search engine to reduce the number of hits it awarded sites that it regards as 'news aggregators'. Apparently, since I cite a number of news reports in my blog posts, I'm regarded as an 'aggregator' by their system, even though I don't think the nature of my posts qualifies as such. Be that as it may, according to SiteMeter, I'm still getting an average of 1,400-1,500 direct links each day, the large majority from regular readers. Sitemeter doesn't measure other links, but another 700-odd get here via RSS feed, and a few hundred more come via Facebook or LiveJournal syndication; so my daily readership seems to average about 2,400-2,500. Daily average page access count is more than 4,000, according to Google Analytics. The historical total of hits on this blog, from all these sources, is well over 3 million by now - although the SiteMeter counter in the sidebar shows less, because it can't count RSS and syndication hits.

Thanks to all of you for dropping by so regularly. Here's to the next 5,000 posts!

Peter

7 comments:

Old NFO said...

Keep up the good work Peter! :-)

Wayne Conrad said...

Peter, Thanks for those 5,000. This is one of the best blogs I read. I like the subject matter, I like your writing style, and you seem like a decent fellow. So thanks.

John Peddie (Toronto) said...

Seconding the above. Wide range of material, and consistently new each day.

My second morning stop (coffee is first).

Photos and videos add a lot, and I especially like the "micro" stuff-things we'd never normally see.

Dave H said...

I just started reading a few months ago, having followed Alice down the rabbit hole of gun blogs, and I'm delighted to be a daily reader now.

That you can keep up a pace like this over three years and still crank out interesting, well written, correctly spelled posts is phenomenal.

Bravo Zulu, sir.

Paul Campbell said...

Peter - you're the best! Keep up the good work.

Paul

trailbee said...

You are my unique window on the world. Thank you.

Fly To Your Dreams said...

Congratulations! I've been a regular reader for a couple of years now, and hope you'll have continued success.