Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Miss D. is home!


Miss D. arrived safely home today after spending a couple of days visiting with Brigid, Tamara and other blogging friends in the Indianapolis area. I met her at a local airport at about 11.30 this morning, after we'd been apart for almost three months while she put the finishing touches to her airplane and flew the 4,000 miles from Alaska, down the Alcan Highway to Montana, then across the country from West to East, dodging thunderstorms and other hazards en route.




I'm very, very proud of my lady. Over the course of almost four years, she bought a vintage 1941 aircraft that was literally in pieces, the wings entirely disassembled and lacking spars; endured crippling injuries, yet pushed herself through rehabilitation therapy to such an extent that she could resume a normal life, despite ongoing problems with pain and the after-effects of the injuries; rebuilt the wings around new spars, re-covered them, and renovated the fuselage and other bits and pieces; and this year, flew the plane for the first time, got her type rating in it, then brought it home over all that distance. All in all, that's a hell of an achievement by anyone's standards.

In case you couldn't tell, I'm not only very proud of my wife, I love her very much, too. It's wonderful to have her home again.

Peter

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is a serious cool lady you have there. Had a friend who started that same idea on a Stagger-Wing Beech. Never got it finished.

DaddyBear said...

Great news Peter! I'm glad D made it home safe!

Tam said...

Squeee! I lurve that plane!

Shrimp said...

Glad she's home safe. That's quite a lady you have there, Peter.

raven said...

How sweet! Next thing you know there will be a piece of land with an airstrip on in your future.....!

Rev. Paul said...

What Shrimp said - D's quite a lady.

Sport Pilot said...

You have every reason to be proud of your wife, heck, I've never met either of you and I'm proud of her. I hadn't realized how close you two are to my homestead, we'll have to get together for lunch soon, I'll buy.

Joe

STxRynn said...

Wonderful news. I've been keeping you in my prayers.

Old NFO said...

One hellva trip, and she did it smart and safe! Glad she's home and enjoy the time together Peter!

Castr8r said...

She's a keeper! But I think you already know that...