Monday, July 25, 2011

World's most expensive hot dog?


It seems there's a new level of excess in regional baseball.

The Brockton Rox have introduced what they claim is the world's most expensive hot dog to stadium kiosks, an $80 feast made from ingredients rarely seen on a fast-food menu.

The club's McMullen Dog, named for Atlantic City chef Ryan McMullen who came up with the idea, features a half-pound all-beef sausage rolled in truffle oil, coated with the dust of pulverised porcini mushrooms and topped with white truffle shavings.




The bread roll is buckwheat blini, hand crafted by one of Cape Cod's most exclusive bakeries. And in place of the more familiar ketchup and mustard, fans can choose a creme fraiche dressing with a dollop of caviar and salmon roe.

Sander Stotland, the club's director of food and beverage, insists that the hot dogs will still deliver an authentic ballpark taste because the sausages are deep-fried.

"It's a cross of the redneck meets the rich and famous," he told The Enterprise, Brockton's local newspaper.


There's more at the link.

Darned if I'd pay $80 for a hot dog, even if it was delivered to my seat by a team of singing, dancing, nude cheerleaders! Still, I hope those who can afford it, enjoy it . . .

Peter

4 comments:

TJIC said...

I always found truffle oil to be disgusting. Finally came across a foodie douchebag blog post a few weeks ago that agreed w me (it claimed that it's a quick out for mediocre chefs who want to try to jazz up mediocre dishes) - felt justified.

Blech.

Shrimp said...

"...even if it was delivered to my seat by a team of singing, dancing, nude cheerleaders!"

You have a heck of a business idea there, Peter. You could beat Hooters at their own game. No one goes to Hooters for the food, I tell ya.

Joe in PNG said...

Why do I get the feeling that, despite all the fru-fru expensive ingredients, this thing thing would taste kind of 'meh' at best?

Anonymous said...

For that kinda dough, those cheerleaders better be pretty darned immoral amoral unmoral... my kinda woman. If my SO is reading this, I'm kidding! Mostly.