Sunday, July 24, 2011

A fundraiser for a blogger with cancer


I'm informed that a special blog fund-raising effort is under way to help a Canadian blogger who's been diagnosed with lymphoma, a form of cancer, and is currently undergoing treatment. The blogger in question is Susan, originally from New Brunswick (a province I've visited, and liked very much). She blogs at The Great Balancing Act, and says of herself:

My name is Susan, I’m in my mid-twenties, and I hail from New Brunswick in Atlantic Canada.

I began blogging in January 2009 as a way to chronicle my first triathlon and life after a 30 lb weight loss. It has since grown into “The Great Balancing Act.” A place where I share my journey to find a healthy balance on a daily basis. I write about healthy food and not-so-healthy food. I write about exercise and fitness. I write about life. Living it, loving it, and sometimes just getting through it. I write about my life, but I hope it inspires you to live yours to the fullest too.

. . .

I think balance is all about being content. I don’t have to be grinning and happy all the time, but feeling at peace and content with my every day life is all I can really ask for. To me, that is a healthy lifestyle. That is balance. It just takes a concerted effort to get there every day.

The Great Balancing Act is many things. But mostly, it’s a journal of things I love. It’s a tool in my quest to be the best person I can be. Most of all, it’s a way to share my story in a way that gives me complete and utter contentment. And I hope it makes you feel that way too.


She tells us a lot more about herself at the link.

Following her diagnosis with cancer, a friend of hers, Janetha from Utah, who blogs at Meals & Moves (And Everything In Between), came up with the idea of a fundraiser to help her cover expenses during this very difficult time. I'm not going to go into all the details here, but it's basically a bake sale in the form of an online auction, with baskets of scrumptious-sounding goodies on offer to the highest bidder. She calls it 'The Great Fundraising Act'. You can learn more at the following links:




I can recall some of the problems I went through after my disabling injury in 2004, and my heart attack in 2009. Serious health issues like that can lead to a very lonely and very difficult time, what with ongoing treatments, and all the problems of trying to cope with the normal demands of your life when you're just not capable of dealing with them! In Susan's case, undergoing chemotherapy at the same time, it must be a whole lot worse . . .

I'd be grateful if my readers would please click on those links above, learn more about the fundraiser, and consider helping Susan by participating. I think it's a worthwhile effort, and one that engages bloggers and blog-readers in a new and interesting way. Also, if other bloggers reading this could spread the word about tomorrow, that would be very good of you. You can learn more here about ways to promote it.

Thanks in advance to everyone who gets involved. See you online at the auction!

Peter

No comments: