Thursday, April 2, 2009

Still enjoying the frozen North


I'm into the sixth of my ten days in Alaska, and still enjoying it very much - despite the cold.

Miss D. took me a way out of town yesterday evening, to visit the town of Girdwood, about 38 miles away, with its ski resort. The traffic was fairly light, and the tide was out in the bay, so that on the way there, we were skirting miles upon miles of muddy shallows, topped with scattered lumps of ice. On the other side of the road, the mountains rose sheer above us, with occasional traces showing where avalanches had buried the road earlier in the season. The mountains ahead of us were lit by the setting sun behind us.




To my utter astonishment, D. insisted on stopping for ice-cream at a locally famous shop there - and others in the shop cheerfully agreed with her that Alaska has the highest per capita ice-cream consumption in the USA! Not for me, thank you . . . I want warmer weather before I inflict ice-cream on my digestive system!

Having eaten her ice-cream, we went in search of supper, but found that all the dining establishments in Girdwood had closed early. We drove back into Anchorage to rendezvous with micro-brewed beer and pizza at someplace called 'Moose's Tooth', a very well-known local nightspot. Good food and beer, and worth the long drive back through the snow.




I'm here until Sunday evening, and will be sorry to say goodbye to Miss D. (at least for now) and head South again. She'll be joining me in Texas at the end of the month, to visit the Alamo Liaison Squadron and attend their annual picnic and fly-in in San Antonio. If any of you plan to be there, let me know, and we'll arrange a blogger bash to follow the ALS festivities!

Peter

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have family in Anchorage and often visit. The Moose's Tooth is great, and I'm glad you liked it. You should also try the Aleska Resort (They have blueberry picking, though I don't know if it is the season) or Earthquake National Park. Enjoy your trip.

Billy Sparks said...

The Moose's Tooth is great. My wife and I ate there after our cruise in Alaska.

Wayne Conrad said...

Dad, who owned a small grocery store in Seattle, tells me that sales of ice cream spiked in the cold winter months. Go figure!

Unknown said...

Personally, I find that I eat more ice cream in the winter than I do during the summer... Don't know why. I just do.

Ryan Short said...

So how do you know about us? We'll be glad to have you here. Hoping to have at least two WWII L-bird pilots in attendance.

Ryan - ALS member...